Sunday, May 17, 2009

I thee wed...


What greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined for life, to strengthen each other in all labor, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in all pain, to be one with each other in silent unspeakable memories of the moment of the last parting?
George Eliot

The white Cinderella dress. The lovely gossamer veil. The white satin shoes. The special bouquet of flowers. The walk down the aisle. The ‘I do's’… The forever after.
What makes a man and a woman fall in love, get married and have children? Everyone I know are always either looking for that perfect mate, already in a relationship, or married. That’s how God made us, we need to love and be loved. To be desired. Most of us want to have a little child, our offspring. Most of us found that perfect someone to share their life with. Some people are still looking. Others cant find that one perfect person, with all the qualities they must have.
Its so special how we fall in love. The most common way for a man and a woman to get married, is when they fall in love. Sweet love. How long does it last? Forever? Like it says in the bible Love never fails.
But so many people are having marriage problems. Why is that?
This month its my 9 year marriage anniversary. Its amazing how the years just flew by, and now 9 years and 3 kids later we are still together. We had our precious, joyful moments. And we had our rough patches. Its funny sometimes to look back at myself as the young girl who got married, with stars in her eyes, and hopes for a future filled with everlasting happiness. I believe most of us feel like that, we are just unprepared for the dry patches in our garden of love, of harsh words, of selfishness, or not understanding the person you married to. As a christian its against my upbringing to divorce, unless he cheats on me, so no matter how the rough patches are rubbing me, or how upset I am at my husband I still have to stick it out, get help, or work on it myself.
Thank God I got blessed with a perfect husband… Not. He is human and so am I. I am not perfect, far from it, but a lot of times I demand my dear husband be perfect. Did you notice that men don’t like to be told what they should be doing…? I finally got it, and instead of working on his character, or his “bad” traits, I started to work on my own. Wow… sometimes its funny how blind we- as women can be. As soon as I started to work on my self, to not criticize what my husband is doing, and not boss him around, my life turned for the better and the love we shared in the first years of marriage came back stronger then before. Instead of seeing the negative aspects of my marriage, now I see the good and the positive. Oh, and what a difference it makes. It just brings so much beauty into the marriage relationship.
The books that opened my eyes are called:
‘Woman- aware and choosing’, by Betty Coble. & ‘Fascinating womanhood’, by Helen Andelin. Some aspects of the books I don’t really agree on, but the whole concept is amazing. Try and read for yourself, it can never hurt. I wish all of you are having great marriages. Let me know how you handle the dry patches....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like seeds, with each kind word a flower will bloom and the wind will blow petals your way, I love reading your comments.