Friday, June 12, 2009

Grumble and complain.




What is the baby telling you? I dont like this, not one minute :)

It's easy to complain about how things are in your family, or how they are at work or at church or at school. But complaining won't change a thing. Neither will condemning or criticizing or preaching. What is needed where you are is someone who will be what they wish others would be - to lead by contagious example. (A passage from Gospel.com)


Is it OK to complain? Is it OK to grumble? To walk around upset, unhappy or depressed? Is that what God wants for my life? To be like a gray raining cloud, or a happy, warm sunshine? I know that a lot of people say that if I never complain, no one will ever know if its hard or troubling for me. That everyone has a right to complain, no one expects me to be strong and unbending. But then others tell me that its not right to complain, that God gives everyone according to their strength, and that nothing that happens in life is too heavy a burden. I wonder if there is a thin line between complaining and stating your burdens or troubles?
I believe if I am telling someone about my troubles, or hurts, or the heaviness of my heart it OK. For example if I say things like, I feel sad, I feel overwhelmed, I feel out of breath, that is OK to say. Or if I need help. But it gets into complaining field, when I start saying things like, I am always sad, I am tired of this weather, I don’t like anyone today, I am sick and tired of everything. I don’t like my car, I don’t like my house, my yard. When I start saying things like that, then I am in a grumbling zone, and God doesn't like it.

Am I getting this straight? I am getting confused myself. I wonder what the bible says about this?
Israel complained and was punished when they were going through the wilderness. God despised the grumblings, murmurings. Not being happy with everything they had.

Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the LORD, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the LORD burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp. (Numbers 11:1)

In this desert your bodies will fall—every one of you twenty years old or more who was counted in the census and who has grumbled against me. (Numbers 14:29)

"Therefore I will not keep silent; I will speak out in the anguish of my spirit, I will complain in the bitterness of my soul. (Job 7:11)

You see, while Job complained in the bitterness of his soul, it was OK to do so, while Israel complained and was punished. I want to walk this fine line of complaining, and not grumble or murmur.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like seeds, with each kind word a flower will bloom and the wind will blow petals your way, I love reading your comments.